Whiskey Professor Quiz
Whiskey Professor Quiz
- What criteria does a whiskey have to meet to be labeled “Bottled In Bond”?
- Founded in 1855 by George Garvin Brown’s half brother (of Brown-Foreman), what does the “J.T.S.” stand for on J.T.S. Brown label?
- What is the only brand of bourbon produced and sold before, during, and after prohibition, and all under the same ownership?
- How is Corn Whisky different from bourbon?
- What is the first cocktail known to use bourbon as the spirit and not just “whisky, and also has it’s own glass named after it?
- Who was the #1 distiller in the United States in 1798 of 11,000 gallons of rye whisky?
- Which 4 modern day distillers created the first Single Barrel and Small Batch bourbons that revitalized the bourbon category in the 1980’s?
- What are the 3 general grain bills of bourbon?
- What defines High Rye Bourbon?
- Can Bourbon contain more than 80% in the mash bill, and still be classified as a bourbon?
- What term on a label means that the product must follow all the laws of bourbon, can only add water
or other bourbon to it, and must be at least 2 years old?
- Which iconic bourbon drink has it’s own glass/cup named after it, and is responsible for the invention of the straw?
- What drink was created for Lady Randolf (Jenny Jerome-Winston Churchill’s mother, when she hosted an event for Presidential Candidate Samuel Tildon in New York?
- True or False…Bourbon must be made in Kentucky to be true straight bourbon.
- What was bourbon named after?
- At least 4 years old, exactly 100 proof, from a single distillery and from barrels put up in one season
- John Thompson Street Brown
- Old Forester
- Must be aged in un-charred new oak, or used charred oak.
- The Old Fashioned
- George Washington
- Parker Beam Heaven Hill, Booker Noe – Jim Beam, Elmer T. Lee – Ancient Age, JimmyRussell – Wild Turkey.
- Traditional Bourbon, High Rye Bourbon , and Wheat Bourbon
- Bernie Lubbers in “Bourbon Whiskey-Our Native Spirit” defines High Rye Bourbon at 18% or more of rye in the Mash Bill.
- YES, as long as it follows all the laws of bourbon, it could be 100% corn!
- Mint Julep, the official drink of the Kentucky Derby.
- The Manhattan
- False, under the TTB Standards of Identity, bourbon must be made in the U.S.
- The French Royal family, the Bourbon’s…for their help in the Revolutionary War. Bourbon Street was named after the same Royal family.
Leave a comment